Tuesday, July 1, 2014

MCSE Studying - Week 5

Overview
I have completed week five of studying for my MCSE exams. I managed to make a good start into the 70-410 Training Guide. I completed Chapter 1, along with the practice exercises. The other thing I started this week, was listening to the PowerScripting Podcast. I had intended to start listening to it quite some time ago, but had not had the opportunity to do so until this past weekend. While it isn't as technical as some of the training resources I usually use, it is still quite valuable, as it provides an opportunity to see how other sysadmins, and other companies are utilizing PowerShell. In episode 260, there is an excellent discussion (rant) about taking responsibility for your own career development, and not relying on your employer to do it for you. For those who are interested, the rant starts at about the 1:08:30 mark.

Cool Stuff
One of the most useful, and well timed things I learned this week, was about the website www.windowsservercatalog.com. From this page you can look to see which server hardware from various vendors is certified for the various editions of Windows Server. This was especially useful this past week, as I was preparing to upgrade a physical server to Windows Server 2012 R2. It was nice to see that the server I am going to be upgrading was in the list of certified servers.

Stats
Total time studying: 7 hrs. 10 min.
  • Exam 70-410: 3 hrs. 15 min.
  • PowerShell (non-technical): 3 hrs. 55 min.

In Closing
It's nice to get into the training and almost daily find things that I can use in my job. For example, this past week I was able to make use of the Windows Server Catalog, review the process we are using to upgrade our servers, and started writing a couple of basic PowerShell scripts. All in all, it has been a great week. I'm looking forward to next weeks challenges and opportunities!

Have a great week everyone!

No comments: