Monday, July 14, 2014

MCSE Studying - Week 7

Overview
I have completed week seven of studying for my MCSE exams. I started and completed Chapter 3 in the 70-410 Training Guide, started the 70-410 Live Learning course from KnowledgeNet, listened to six more PowerScripting Podcast episodes, and finished chapters 5 & 6, and started Lab 1 in the "Learn PowerShell 3 in a Month of Lunches" book. It has been an incredibly busy week, both at work, and at home.

Cool Stuff
Whilst there hasn't been anything specific that I would say is really cool, the one thing I enjoyed the most was getting into the Lab 1 exercises in the "Learn PowerShell 3 in a Month of Lunches" book. Being given nothing more than a couple of hints, and a whole list of tasks to complete using PowerShell was challenging, educational, and a whole lot of fun!

As always, there is a lot of stuff every week that is really cool that I would love to add here, but it would take up way more space than I have planned for. A lot of what I learn falls into three categories; "That is the coolest thing I have ever seen!", "Wow! This will be really handy at work over the coming weeks.", and "Gee, I wish I had known about this six months ago.". Unfortunately, the last one seems to come up quite often.

Stats
Total time studying: 18 hrs. 15 min.
  • Exam 70-410: 9 hrs. 15 min.
  • PowerShell: 9 hrs.
Resources used:
Training Guide: Installing and Configuring Windows Server 2012 R2: Mitch Tulloch
Learn Windows PowerShell 3 in a Month of Lunches - 2nd Edition: Don Jones & Jeffery D. 
Hicks
KnowledgeNet Live Learning Course: Installing and Configuring Microsoft Windows Server 2012 R2
PowerScripting Podcast - Episodes 265, 266, 267, 268, 269, & 270
* I have decided not to include all of the TechNet articles I read throughout the week, as they are quite numerous. I will however, still list them in the Learning Resources post.

In Closing
I have had quite a productive week this week. Learning is starting to get easier now that I have managed to train my brain how to learn again. Listening to the PowerScripting Podcast has been a fantastic eye-opener into the latest news around not only PowerShell, but also the Windows Server communities. I did not realize how much I was missing out on by staying inside the little bubble I had for myself at work. Over the coming months I would like to start getting into more forums and discussions with some of my peers in the industry. I think it will prove most valuable. Who knows, maybe I'll look into attending some of the conferences that are hosted throughout the year.

Have a great week everyone!

No comments: