Monday, June 23, 2014

MCSE Studying - Week 4

Overview
I have completed week four of studying for my MCSE exams. I did not get as much studying done as I would have liked during the last two weeks. This is mostly due to the fact that I spent these last two weeks in Moose Jaw, SK on a business trip. Even though I did not get a lot of studying in, I did get a lot of real world, hands-on experience with Windows Server 2012 R2. With the help of my fellow sysadmins, I was able to do three in place upgrades from Windows Server 2008 R2, and three side-by-side migrations from Windows Server 2003 R2 x86. All in all, a very successful two weeks.

Cool Stuff
One critical thing I learned this week was about PKI (Public Key Infrastructure) and AD:CS (Active Directory Certificate Services). I have covered this topic before, but not with anything that I would call success. This time around the information presented has started to make sense, and I can begin to see how the pieces fit together.

This is an incredibly important topic to get right, since there are many additional services in the Windows Server world that rely on Certificate Services, such as RMS (Rights Management Services), and FS (Federation Services).

Stats
Total time studying: 6 hrs.
  • Exam 70-412: 6 hrs.

In Closing
I have ordered the three Microsoft Press Exam Ref books for exams 70-410, 70-411, and 70-412. The books for 70-410 and 70-412, along with the pre-ordered Training Guide for 70-411 should all arrive this week. Now that I'm back at home, I should be able to make a much more aggressive plunge into the training resources.

I'm still trying to get my sleep cycles back to normal after some late night work on the server  upgrades. This will likely take a couple of days, but once it's done, I should be back to my usual, chipper self.

Please don't think that I'm complaining about the late night work. I love my job very much, and I cannot imagine doing anything else at this time. As I have stated more than once, "Being a Sysadmin isn't a job, it's a lifestyle".

Have a great week everyone!

No comments: