Sunday, June 1, 2014

MCSE Studying - Week 1

Overview
I have completed week one of studying for my MCSE exams. It has not been an aggressive start, but I did make some progress. I started out the week by getting into PowerShell, but was quickly distracted by the arrival of "Training Guide: Configuring Advanced Windows Server 2012 R2 Services" by Orin Thomas. This book covers the objectives in Exam 70-412. It took nearly two evenings to get the lab environment set up as per the book's instructions. Once completed, however, I dove right in. I am happy to say that what I have seen in the first chapter is not completely foreign, but still has enough new materiel to keep me challenged. I also found some information on adprep that will be useful at work later this year.

Cool Stuff
I think the coolest thing I learned this week was from the setup of the lab environment, and that was the use of netsh and netdom to do some of the configuration of the servers. I have not used these utilities before to configure the IPv4 address settings or the computer name. I had always thought it faster to configure them through the specific connection via the network control panel. What I discovered was that by the time I had got to the fourth server, I had memorized the syntax and it was actually faster to configure the system through these command line utilities, than it was to use the GUI. Below, I have included an example of the command line syntax used to configure the IP address, subnet mask, default gateway, and DNS server:

  • netsh interface ipv4 set address "Ethernet" static 192.168.2.40 255.255.255.0 192.168.2.1
  • netsh interface ipv4 set dnsservers "Ethernet" static 192.168.2.10 primary

Stats
Total time studying: 6 hrs. 20 min.
  • PowerShell: 55 min.
  • General Windows Server 2012 R2: 1 hr. 30 min.
  • Exam 70-412: 3 hrs. 55 min.
Resources used:
TechNet Article - Add User Principal Name Suffixes

In Closing
I am looking forward to getting more into the meat and potatoes of the 70-412 objectives next week and perhaps finding answers to some of my current questions regarding one of the projects at work. Also, I am also eagerly awaiting another book that shipped on Friday, but that will have to wait until I finish with 70-412 before I can dive into that one.

Have a great week everyone.

No comments: