Monday, October 20, 2014

MCSE Studying - Week 21

Overview
Week 21 of my MCSE studies was quite busy, but I still didn't get as much studying done as the previous week. I managed to finish Chapters 10 & 11 in the 70-410 Study Guide, which finally brought me to the end of the book. I also completed Chapter 12 & 13 in the"Learn PowerShell in a Month of Lunches" book, listened to two PowerScripting podcast episodes, and attended sessions 3 & 4 of the KnowledgeNet 70-410 course.

Cool Stuff
The coolest thing I learned this past week was how to configure the Windows Firewall, and IPSec. I have always avoided using the Windows Firewall, until now. I was pleasantly surprised how simple the service is to manage. Likewise for IPSec. It was surprisingly easy to use and configure. It took a bit more reading to understand the underlying technology of IPSec, but it was worth it.

PowerShell cmdlet of the Week
This week's PowerShell cmdlet is one that I have routinely used to disable the Windows Firewall. I had always considered the Windows Firewall difficult to use and configure, so I opted to disable it instead of trying to configure it. I have since learnt the error of my ways, and will start using the firewall.

Set-NetFirewallProfile

I used to use it in this form to disable all the firewall profiles:

Set-NetFirewallProfile -All -Enabled False

However, Microsoft recommends not doing this, and now that I am more educated, so do I. Still, it can be a useful tool for troubleshooting potential firewall issues.

Stats
Total time studying: 14 hrs. 30 min.
  • PowerShell: 3 hrs. 35 min.
  • 70-410: 10 hrs. 55 min.
Resources used:


In Closing
I had quite a lot of fun this past week, but was a little frustrated by the lack of progress. It was a bit of a chaotic week, and I was forced to put studying on the back burner. Still, I did get more done than I thought I was going to. Next week, I am going to continue my 70-410 studies, start into 70-411, and keep going with PowerShell. I also have some lab setup to do that might take a few hours, but it has to be done.

Have a great week everyone!

No comments: