Tuesday, September 16, 2014

MCSE Studying - Week 16

Overview
I have completed week sixteen of studying for my MCSE exams. I'm still not hitting the books as hard as I'd like, but that will come with time. I did start Chapter 7 in the 70-410 Training Guide, started the Live Learning course for exam 70-462 (Administering Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Databases), and listened to the most recent episode of the PowerScripting Podcast. I listed the podcast episode under 70-410 in the stats, since it dealt less with PowerShell, and more with the basics of IPv6.

Cool Stuff
The coolest thing I learned this week, was just how easy it is to setup Hyper-V. It was nice to start learning about another virtualization platform other than VMWare. I'm looking forward to getting to know it better over the coming weeks.

PowerShell cmdlet of the Week
I've decided to add a new section where I share my favorite new PowerShell cmdlet for that week. There's a lot of cmdlets out there, so I don't think I'll run out any time soon.

This week's cmdlet is going to be a fairly simple one:

Clear-DnsClientCache

Long story short, it performs the same function as ipconfig /flushdns, which means that it will clear the client's local cache of DNS to IP mappings. It is very useful if there has been a recent change to an entry on the DNS server, and you want to make sure your client resolves the name of the newly updated entry to the correct IP address.

Stats
Total time studying: 8 hrs. 50 min.
  • 70-410: 2 hrs. 50 min.
  • 70-462: 6 hrs..
Resources used:

In Closing
It has been a bit better a week than some past weeks. I still need to be more consistent with my training, but that kind of discipline takes time to develop. This coming week, I will commit to finishing chapter 7 in the 70-410 Training Guide, and finish 2 more chapters in the PowerShell book. Check back in next week to see if I actually accomplished my goals!


Have a great week everyone!

No comments: