Sunday, May 17, 2015

MCSE Studying - Week 49

Overview
Week 49 continues my journey of becoming an MCSE. I have passed the 70-410 exam, earning the Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) certification. My studies are now focused on preparing for the 70-411 exam, Administering Windows Server 2012. I am looking forward to being able to focus more on this exam now that it is the next one in line. There are some interesting technologies in this exam that I am eager to learn.

Cool Stuff
Perhaps the coolest thing I learned last week was the concepts behind VPN technologies, including things like RADIUS, authentication protocols, encryption, encapsulation, and integrity algorithms. There is a lot to know, but as I study these concepts more and more, I am starting to understand how the pieces fit together. Over the next week or two, I am hoping to finally cement my understanding of these concepts.

PowerShell cmdlet of the Week
I seem to have gotten away from looking for a specific PowerShell cmdlet as of late. I will ensure that I pick up my PowerShell studies again, and I'll make sure I have a cmdlet here for you next week.

Stats
Total time studying: 16 hrs. 40 min.
  • 70-411: 12 hrs.
  • Lab Maintenance (Prep for 70-411): 4 hrs. 40 min.
Resources used:
In Closing
It was a really good feeling to get back to studying for a specific exam. I have changed my study style slightly for 70-411, opting to focus on taking more, and better notes than I have in the past. My intention is to focus a lot more on the details related to each of the objectives in addition to obtaining a solid foundation. It will require more focus than I have been giving to my studies, but I am ready for the challenge. For an example of just how detailed I plan to get, hop over to this post on my other blog, "The Frozen Geek". It is an exploration of an unlikely scenario, but I figure if I can answer questions like this, I should be able to ace the 70-411 exam.

Have a great week everyone!

No comments: