Monday, February 9, 2015

MCSE Studying - Week 35

Overview
Week 35 of my MCSE studies was quite possibly the best week I have had since I started my studies. My focus has been extremely high, and I have studied more, and learned more than I though was possible. I also exceeded the previous record for number of study hours per week by almost 12 hours. This is the level of focus that I have been trying to achieve for months.

To summarize last week's activities: I started the KnowledgeNet Live Learning courses for both 70-411 and 70-413, Mapped out the exam objectives for 70-411, started a review of "Learn PowerShell 3 in a Month of Lunches", started into the Sybex Complete MCSA Study Guide, watched a Channel 9 video, listened to the PowerScripting podcast, and completed three more chapters in the 70-410 Study Guide. I'm going to call that a very successful week.

Cool Stuff
Wow! I scarcely  know where to begin. There was so much cool stuff learned last week . I think the best part of the week was finally being able to put together a PowerShell script that will setup and configure a new Gen 2. virtual machine in Hyper-V. The only thing I have to enter now, is the server name. The script takes the name and proceeds to setup the virtual machine with all of the settings just the way I like them. PowerShell has saved me some more time. Thank you PowerShell!

PowerShell cmdlet of the Week
This week, I am going to use four cmdlets to demonstrate how to customize the boot order in a Gen. 2 virtual machine in Hyper-V.

Get-VMDvdDrive
Get-VMNetworkAdapter
Get-VMHardDiskDrive
Set-VMFirmware

The scenario is that we want to configure the boot order on a virtual machine called "Ceres" to boot first from the DVD Drive, then from the Hard Drive, and lastly from the Network Adapter.

Step 1: Assign each of the boot device properties to a variable. We do this because the Set-VMFirmware cmdlet will not accept data type <string[]> as input for the -BootOrder parameter. It expects to be given the list of objects as type <VMComponentObject[]>

$vmdvd = Get-VMDvdDrive
$vmvhd = Get-VMHardDiskDrive
$vmnic = Get-VMNetworkAdapter

Step 2: Change the boot order on the server named 'Ceres'.

Set-VMFirmware `
    -VMName Ceres `
    -BootOrder $vmdvd,$vmvhd,$vmnic

You can confirm the boot order either by using the Get-VMFirmware cmdlet, or by checking the virtual machine settings in Hyper-V manager.

Simple and effective.

Stats
Total time studying: 37 hrs. 45 min.
  • 70-410: 16 hrs. 20 min.
  • 70-411: 10 hrs. 20 min.
  • 70-413: 6 hrs.
  • PowerShell: 4 hrs. 30 min.
  • General: 35 min.

No comments: