Monday, December 8, 2014

MCSE Studying - Week 28

Overview
Week 28 of my MCSE studies was a much better and less chaotic week than the previous few. I started two live KnowledgeNet courses: 70-412 (Configuring Advanced Windows Server 2012 R2 Services), and 70-414 (Implementing an Advanced Server 2012 R2 Infrastructure). I also finished three chapters in the 70-411 Training Guide, discovering a change to Windows Server 2012 R2 between when the book was published, and when I did the practice exercises at the end of one of the chapters. I won't cover that change here, but I'll put it up on my other blog: The Frozen Geek.

Cool Stuff
The coolest thing from week 28 wasn't anything specific, but just the chance to start learning about Microsoft System Center 2012 R2. Taking the 70-414 course has further cemented the thought that becoming an enterprise systems administrator (2000+ users) is definitely one of the career paths I am going to consider for myself over the next couple of months!

PowerShell cmdlet of the Week
I know that in last week's blog post I had said that I would get back on track this week, but I'm afraid that just isn't going to happen. Quite simply, I didn't find a PowerShell cmdlet from last week that was new or cool enough. So, rather than pick a random PowerShell cmdlet, I'll just hold off until next week.

Stats
Total time studying: 17 hrs. 5 min.
  • 70-411: 5 hrs. 5 min.
  • 70-412: 6 hrs.
  • 70-414: 6 hrs.
Resources used:

In Closing
This was a much better week for studying! I must thank my beautiful, supportive wife for kicking my butt into gear on Friday when I really didn't feel like studying. Thanks to her, I got just over 5 hours of study time in the 70-411 Training Guide! It is very important to have someone in you life, whether it be a friend, co-worker, or family member that can keep you on target when pursuing your goals.

Have a great week everyone!

No comments: