Tuesday, November 4, 2014

MCSE Studying - Week 23

Overview
While it would not be fair to say that week 23 of my MCSE studies came completely off the rails, it did come close. The week started out reasonably well, but starting Thursday, there wasn't any progress at all. I did manage to complete Chapter 2 in the 70-411 Training Guide. I also attended two Microsoft Virtual Academy (MVA) events, "PowerShell for Active Directory Jump Start", and "Modernize Your Data Center Jump Start".

Cool Stuff
The coolest thing I learned from last week was not simply one thing. I attended the MVA "PowerShell for Active Directory Jump Start" hosted by Ashley McGlone and Jason Helmick. It was an amazing event! I had a great time learning all sorts of new PowerShell tips, tricks, and skills throughout the morning.

PowerShell cmdlet of the Week
This week's PowerShell cmdlet is actually two that I learned about during the MVA event, and learned a new trick with today:

Get-ADForest

and

Get-ADDomain

These useful cmdlets display information about the Active Directory Forest and Domain. More specifically, I learned today how to get the Flexible Single Master Operator (FSMO) roles from these cmdlets. Simply use the cmdlets with Format-Table:

Get-ADForest | Format-Table -Property DomainNamingMaster,SchemaMaster

Get-ADDomain | Format-Table -Property RIDMaster,PDCEmulator,InfrastructureMaster

Once you hit 'Enter', you will be rewarded with a neat table of which Domain Controllers hold each of the FSMO roles.

Stats
Total time studying: 9 hrs. 40 min.
  • PowerShell: 3 hrs. 10 min.
  • General MCSE: 4 hrs. 10 min.
  • 70-411: 2 hrs. 20 min.
Resources used:


In Closing
The end of last week was a little chaotic with various priorities from my personal life demanding my time. Don't get me wrong, I do not mind taking time away from my studies when required, and last week, it was definitely required. That being said, it is necessary to re-focus next week and continue on with my studies.

Wow! Next week is already shaping up to be a very busy week for studying. I have found three live, instructor led courses that I want to take, and I still need to continue on with the 70-411 Training Guide, and the "Learn PowerShell in a Month of Lunches" book. I expect I will be quite tired, but a lot more knowledgeable by the end of the week.

Have a great week everyone!

No comments: